CBD oil is all the rage right now. CBD can be used as a treatment for a variety of health issues, and offers immense wellness benefits, as well. But what is CBD exactly?
CBD is an abbreviation for “cannabinoids,” which is a chemical compound produced by the cannabis plant. People refer to the cannabis plants as hemp or marijuana, depending how high of a concentration of THC is in the plant. THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, is the chemical responsible for the psychological effects in marijuana. CBD oils are oils made out of high concentrations of cannabinoids.
The human body produces its own cannabinoids and has two receptors (CB1 and CB2). CB1 deals with coordination, movement, pain, emotions, mood, and many other functions. THC attaches to these receptors and influence our actions. CB2 receptors affect inflammation and pain management. It is believed that using CBD oil directs the body to use more of its own cannabinoids.
The benefits of CBD include:
1. Pain relief. The National Institute of Health is studying how cannabidoil can help relieve pain involved in arthritis, chronic pain, MS pain, muscle pain and spinal cord injuries.
2. Anxiety treatments. CBD may change the way the brain responds to serotonin, which helps with anxiety. One study found that CBD may reduce stress, decrease the physiological effects of anxiety (such as heart rate), improve PTSD symptoms, and help decrease insomnia.
3. Anti-acne. Since CBD has been known to reduce inflammation in the body, it has been studied as a way of decreasing acne breakouts. A recent article in the Journal of Clinical Investigation showed that CBD oil prevented activity in the sebaceous glands, which are the glands responsible for producing sebum. Too much sebum can lead to acne.
4. Anti-seizure. A study performed in 2016 included 214 people with epilepsy who increased their daily dose of CBD from 2 to 5mg per day, in addition to their existing anti-epilepsy medications. Overall the participants had 36.5% fewer seizures per month.
How to find the right CBD product:
First, there are three distinct types of CBD oil:
1. Full-spectrum: has full compounds produced by the plant including CBD, THC and other cannabinoids.
2. Broad-spectrum: contains a wide variety of compounds from the plant without THC.
3. CBD Isolate: contains only CBD and no other compounds.
For the most benefits, the full-spectrum is generally the best for use, but an isolate can be a good choice for those wanting to avoid being tested for THC for any reason. However, the most important thing is finding a reputable company for a good product with quality hemp. Use the checklist below to make sure you are getting the good stuff!
1. Knowing how the CBD was extracted from the hemp plant is probably the most important thing. There are multiple methods which determine both quantity and quality of product. The best method is the CO2 extraction method, which is a green extraction method that provides a cleaner and healthier product.
2. Make sure the company does third party testing to ensure a high quality and safe product.
2. Find out where and how the hemp was grown.
3. Look for products that list the CBD amount.
4. See how much THC is in the product.
’Tis the season to remember that CBD products make great stocking stuffers this holiday season. Visit Elev8 MD Wellness Center to explore a wide variety of CBD oils, lotions, and bath bombs. Ask our helpful staff for more information on which product is best for you and your loved ones this winter!