Ashley Mahood Paraiso
What is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture needles manipulate the movement of qi and has the ability to bring the qi and the channels in which they flow into balance. They encourage the “free flow” of qi mentioned above. When the body is in balance, it works efficiently and effectively, and the mind, body, and spirit thrive.
The Mind-Body Connection and Acupuncture
Acupuncture needles help bring the self into balance. Balance creates the conditions for your body and mind to work efficiently and effectively, to heal itself, and to thrive. Acupuncture can be a standalone modality, or you can combine it with other Elev8MD treatments to make your progress faster, go further, and last longer.
What Can I Expect At My First Appointment
In order to get the most out of your treatment, please complete the intake forms prior to your appointment or arrive 20 minutes early to complete them in the office.
What to Expect During Treatment
During the treatment, you will lay on a massage table. Once the needles are in place you will relax on the table for about 20 minutes. This is when the needles do their work moving qi. It is common for people to fall asleep or to feel deeply relaxed like they just had a massage or a yoga class.
It is recommended that you drink plenty of water before and after an acupuncture treatment, and that you do not arrive on an empty stomach.
Do Needles Hurt? Where are They Placed?
While there are acupuncture points and meridians (pathways the energy follows) all over the body, the most common areas are the wrists, between the knees and ankles, the back, the abdomen, and outer ears. We welcome feedback about any areas that you do not want to be needled.
This is YOUR acupuncture treatment. We will not insert needles anywhere you are not comfortable. We encourage people to tell us if they have a fear of needles. This is not uncommon and we’ll take time to make sure you are comfortable with your treatment. Although it is common to place needles in the area of pain, it is not the only way.
What Other Therapies May be Used?
- Cupping – Silicone or glass suction cups are placed on the body, which are either left in one place for several minutes or slid along the surface of the skin to promote circulation. This may leave a red mark that looks similar to a bruise for a few days. You may have seen these marks on Olympic athletes. Cupping helps move stagnant blood and qi that causes pain, and helps circulate healthy blood and qi to heal the area.
- Gua sha – Similar to cupping, gua sha helps move blood and qi that leads to pain, and encourages healthy circulation. A smooth utensil similar to a rubber spatula is used by pressing it against the skin and rubbing. This can also leave a red mark that will go away within several days.
- Electrostimulation (“e-stim”) – Small clips are placed on the needle, which are attached to a handheld e-stim machine. Very low levels of electric current flow to the needles and encourage the flow of blood and qi to an area. You may feel a dull buzzing sensation in the area.
- Chinese herbs – Traditionally, acupuncture and Chinese herbs go hand in hand. Adding herbs to your treatment plan can improve progress. Herbs are generally taken daily and are in the form of either a capsule or a tea. Like acupuncture, Chinese herbs help the blood and qi of the body flow smoothly, and address underlying causes of pain and imbalance. It is not required that you take herbs while in acupuncture treatment, and it is up to your discretion to agree to or decline an herbal prescription. Herbs are an additional cost.
What Does Acupuncture Treat?
- Pain and Injury
- Emotional Issues
- Fertility (including natural conception and IUI/IVF/egg freezing)
- Pregnancy and Post-Partum Support
- Menstrual and Women’s Health Issues
- Respiratory Issues
- Frequent Colds and Illness
- Cancer support, including treatment to help reduce the side effects of radiation and chemotherapy
- Support for Addictions
- Chronic or debilitative disorders with no clear explanation or origin
Acupuncture can be an important part of self-care and stress management. When qi flows freely we are better able to navigate our emotions, become more self-aware, and are less likely to get “stuck” in our habitual thought and emotional patterns.
8000 Corporate Center Drive, Ste 212
Charlotte, NC 28226
Saturdays and Sundays: Closed
Connect with Us
How can we restore you to your best self?
Our physicians are happy to answer any questions you may have about ketamine for depression or chronic pain, IV hydration therapy, or any of our restorative mind-body wellness services. We'll help you get on the right path towards holistic health and whole-body wellness.